1 Peter

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

1 Peter

Post by Pastor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
We're going to be working through Peter's epistles in the weeks ahead. It's going to be great...and relevant. To begin, click on the link above and read through 1 Peter 1:1-2.
What do you know about Christianity within the Roman Empire in the 60's A.D.?
Are there clues/words within these verses that support your knowledge?
Are there any similarities between what the early Christians faced and what you may encounter today?

Pat McDermott

Re: 1 Peter

Post by Pat McDermott » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 pm

One thing that struck me was the word "elect". A quick review of this word in this context was "chosen or singled out". The verses indicate that the elect were chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father. Why were some chosen and others not? What characteristics did the chosen have that identified them as the "elect".

Pat

awkratzke

Post by awkratzke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:06 am

Pat, you’ve hit on something that has been something of a stumbling block to believers, viz., the difference between election and predestination. Whenever confronted with such a topic not cast in black or white, I reach for my catechism. There, in the third article of the creed, is a question concerning assurance of entry into eternal life. The proof texts are Eph. 1:3-6, Rom. 8:28-30, and John 10:27-28. I recall that, as a twelve-year old catechumen, it was impressed on me that God does not predestinate anyone to eternal damnation. God does not keep two predestination lists. In 1 Tim. 2:4 we learn that God wills all to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.
Bill

CBOzias

Post by CBOzias » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Now & then I muse over the concept of free will. I wonder if I truly have free will or does my creator, from time-to-time, step into the fray to direct my thoughts & behavior. That would mean he singled me out for some personal reason of his. Sure, God can do such. But doesn't that take away my free will? Did the prophets of long ago have free will? Or, did God *make them* say what they said and do what they did? Do we really have free will?

We like to say that God is in charge! But does he predetermine our lives to any extent?

The way I take it, Peter is writing to convert Jews who have fled Palestine because of persecution & fear. To me, that seems to have been an act of free will. However, it may be that in light of this dispersion or flight (diaspora?), God made use of these exiles to tell others about Jesus wherever their flight took them. Thus, they would have been chosen because of their faith - after the fact.

What is truth? What is real? We definitely have "holy mysteries". I love the way scripture gives me endless points to ponder & discuss. However, truth (fact) is that Jesus came among us, revealed the Father to us, died for us & was resurrected giving us hope. No discussion in these matters & that's a reality.

BenBauer

Post by BenBauer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:15 am

CBOzias wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 pm
Now & then I muse over the concept of free will. I wonder if I truly have free will or does my creator, from time-to-time, step into the fray to direct my thoughts & behavior. That would mean he singled me out for some personal reason of his. Sure, God can do such. But doesn't that take away my free will? Did the prophets of long ago have free will? Or, did God *make them* say what they said and do what they did? Do we really have free will?

We like to say that God is in charge! But does he predetermine our lives to any extent?

The way I take it, Peter is writing to convert Jews who have fled Palestine because of persecution & fear. To me, that seems to have been an act of free will. However, it may be that in light of this dispersion or flight (diaspora?), God made use of these exiles to tell others about Jesus wherever their flight took them. Thus, they would have been chosen because of their faith - after the fact.
I really like the questions you pose here. It really makes you sit down and think about just how powerful God is, but still consider human free will in the shadow of God's power.

I've been doing a thought experiment around this lately and I think that "free will" as we view it is bound to the plane and understanding of our existence. To say that "we have free will" and "God knows what is going to happen" and view it only from this single plane suddenly presents a dichotomy wherein only one can be true. This is often ammunition for those who question the existence of God as well as a stumbling block for many believers.

Having the will of God beholden to our choices certainly limits the power of God, doesn't it? If God is omniscient... if God is omnipresent... then (and here comes my crazy thought experiment) what if God transcends all planes of existence. By that I mean, what if God's knowledge and will is done for every permutation of choice I could make in my life in every moment of my life.

Thinking this way certainly expands the understanding of God's power in my mind and, especially in the context of this reading, shows that in both situations where the elect had chosen to stay close, or the elect were exiled, God's will was done.

There is a passage that I love in Isaiah 30:21 "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" I'm confident that this passage is not saying that God is waiting for our choices, but rather is already aware of every choice and has enacted his will on every choice since he is not bound by time nor should he bound by my understanding of what it means to exist.

OAKPROA

Post by OAKPROA » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 am

Later on in 1st Peter, he refers to Babylon (1 Peter 5:13). If Peter had meant Rome, the chances are that he would have said Rome. There was at this time a large colony of Jews in ancient Babylon who had fled Rome due to severe persecution under Claudius, and at the time of this writing bloody Nero was on the throne.
So…Peter brings us HOPE today in our world by exposing us to SUFFERING all around us and in ourselves. Peter uses elect, foreknowledge, sanctification, obedience, blood, and the Trinity to convey this.
Peter has been called the apostle of hope, Paul, the apostle of faith, John the apostle of love.
The word that conveys the main theme, however, is SUFFERRING (which Holiness is to the spiritual life what health is to the body). The only holiness we have is in Christ and Peter actually asks us to mature in our Christian faith by relying on the Holy Spirit for guidance so that we may grow in God’s Grace and be strengthened in our faith.

awkratzke

Post by awkratzke » Thu May 04, 2017 4:50 pm

The new kid on the block is advised to keep his mouth shut and his ears open (or what is the same, ‘read, but don’t write for a while’). I am the new kid (new kid at 93?) but, in spite of that somewhat simplistic advice, I feel compelled to respond to some of Pastor Mau’s suggestions. One thing that prompted me to write now was the arrival in the mail of the May issue of Lutheran Witness. Timely coincidence? --Not likely. President Harrison’s letter to the readers cites Luther’s trilogy that really embeds faith in Christ deep in our being. [Lutheran Witness, May, 2017, page 1] The trilogy is Oratio (prayer), Metitatio (Meditation on God’s Word), and Tentatio [(Trials) Harry noted that a word to convey the main theme of the letter is suffering.]. Sound familiar?? Reading further, there is an article about martyrs for the faith and an article on the world wide persecution of Christians. From another source, we learn that 90,000 Christians were killed in 2016,

In 1 Peter 1 the Christians in Asia Minor found refuge from the long arm of Roman Law
I have been to Cappadocia and understand why it would offer the security they sought.
The area is unlike any other on earth. Geologic forces have created a surreal landscape
as if it were another planet. There are chambers honeycombed in the rock formations large enough to house entire cities. I cannot fully describe the place but there are many web sites that are helpful.

Pastor asked about twenty-first century threats of persecution. In this country we enjoy relative safety from physical harm but probably most of us have been intimidated and ridiculed by cynical iconoclasts. I must confess with some embarrassment and shame that I have not always ‘stood up to be counted.‘ A discreet silence avoids confrontation. Confession in the Sunday liturgy frequently cites speaking when we should be silent and being silent when we should speak. For such sins of omission, forgive us, Lord!