John 9:1-41

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

John 9:1-41

Post by Pastor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:30 pm

This chapter is wonderful!
Think of it as a drama divided into 4 scenes: v1-7, v8-12, v13-34, v35-41.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
LECTIO-John loved working with opposing themes; in this case Light and darkness. He's masked these behind "sight" and "blindness." Go through each scene and determine who can "see" and who is "blind."
The man born blind "progressively (in four steps)" has his vision perfected. Identify these four steps and the "chart" John uses to communicate this improvement.
MEDITATIO-This chapter begs us to become participants. Are you among the seeing or blind? Are we the neighbors who cannot see the miracle looking them in the eyes? Are we the Pharisees who hold onto traditions and the past so tightly that their eyelids are sealed shut? Are we willing to admit our own blindness that Christ's light may show us who we are, what we are, what He has done?

JGraham

Re: John 9:1-41

Post by JGraham » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 am

Verse 3, "...that the works of God might be displayed in him", led me to consider the blind man's role as a servant of God. His initial service, as a mere recipient of God's mercy, is rather lowly. I could put myself in his sandals there. When I think of what I want to do for God, it usually doesn't match the reality--the simple, day to day drudgery of being a employee, a husband, a father, a neighbor. And, of course, God richly lavishes His grace upon me each day as He forgives me for failing in even those commonplace tasks. I'm a helpless case.

Then, back in the story, the former blind man gets a chance to shine. He gets to tell what Jesus has done for him and shoot off a couple of zingers at the Pharisees. (I love this part.) What follows is rejection and persecution... and Jesus coming to him again. The former blind man's consolation is a deeper relationship with his Lord.

In my life, my moments of declaring God's love for me have not been quite so glorious. Nor have I suffered all that much because of it. But Jesus still comes to me regardless, offering a closer walk with Him.

jkmatson71@gmail.com

Post by jkmatson71@gmail.com » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Being a disciple of Jesus, my attention went directly to verse 4: "As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work." [Emphasis is mine.] This ties in so well with the Great Commission in Matt 28:19-20: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (See also Mk 16:15.) Regarding my emphasis on the word "we", notice that Jesus does not say, "I must do the work . . ." but that "We must do the work."

So what can "we" do - individually and as a church? I am a door-to-door kind of guy who likes to talk and would love to introduce strangers to the most meaningful person to me in the whole world - Jesus Christ. Maybe more people would like to do that. This new forum is a great opportunity to reach out, as well as the baby sitting class to the neighborhood. What else can we do? Are we making the best use of our web site? What do visitors see and feel when they enter our church building for the first time, and meet our members and meet Jesus perhaps for the first time? What should we consider changing? One thing is sure. While we don't know when Jesus will come again, we know that He will come, and that today we are one day closer to that wonderful day.

OAKPROA

Post by OAKPROA » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:16 am

In chapter 8 Christ explains “I’m the light of the world”, now chapter 9 introduces a blind man who cannot “see” the physical world. The end of chapter 8 ended with Jesus escaping the crowd desiring to harm “Him”, while performing a subtle miracle of NO SIGHT by the crowd (“not yet HIS time”).
John 1:7 Opposing theme once again, when Jesus “SAW” a man born blind (congenital disease state), as did the disciples who also SAW the blind man, but were looking for the cause of the man’s condition rather than the CURE. Jesus was truly the LIGHT with a permanent cure, indeed. Spiritual blindness is fatal, and only Jesus has the cure via grace and mercy. 
Four types of suffering are present in vs 1 to 41 in terms of causes.  
1) Suffering as a proving or testing of our faith 
2) Suffering meant for improvement 
3) Suffering as punishment for sin 
4) Suffering that shows forth God's glory, as in this story
My personal congenital disease by far was my "original sin", cured ONLY by my Savior, Jesus Christ, who SAW my condition and SUFFERED in my place via GRACE, and allowed me to be a child of God, full of Grace and Truth. John 1:12

BenBauer

Post by BenBauer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:42 am

It was the first verse that I got stuck at right away in pondering.

"he saw a man blind from birth"

The first verse says "man" which I take to mean an adult. Imagine... God using this man's disease as a way to show his glory - but the man had to live with it for such a long time.

I know that I'm a slave to instant gratification, and not just in material things but I know that I catch myself asking God why I can't see his glory when I want to see it... right now.

It makes me wonder what things in my life... what challenges I face that God is planning to use for his ultimate purpose. It's a good reminder that even in suffering... even suffering over long periods of time, I should rejoice because of the potential that suffering has to further God's glory.

bruud

Post by bruud » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 am

I'm struck by the casualness with which the disciples discuss (and dismiss) the man's condition. To stand in front of a man and openly debate his or his parents' failings seems painfully uncaring. Certainly the man was used to it; after all, it was common knowledge that sin produced calamity, either for you or your offspring (Exodus 34:7) Think of how his ears must of perked up when he heard Jesus' reply, that it was neither his nor his parents sins that produced his condition, and what's more, the works of God were to be displayed in him. After what must have been years of shame, there was a glimmer of hope, enough that he was willing to follow Jesus' instructions to go wash mud off his eyes.

I think we all delight in the cheekiness and pragmatism of the man when he's brought before the Pharisees. After all, what does he have to lose? Is he afraid of being put out of the synagogue? He's a beggar on the street! He's one of the few people we meet in the Gospels, other than Jesus, who is not afraid of the Jews (though his parents are). His arguments are simple, direct, and irrefutable, so much so that the Pharisees have no other recourse than to insult him and cast him out.

And every time I read verse 36 I always think, "Why doesn't this guy know who Jesus is?" And then I always have to remind myself, "It's because he's just seeing Jesus for the first time.

CBOzias

Post by CBOzias » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:52 pm

35 Jesus heard they had ejected him, and when he found him he said to him, 'Do you believe in the Son of man?' 36 'Sir,' the man replied, 'tell me who he is so that I may believe in him.' 37 Jesus said, 'You have seen him; he is speaking to you.' 38 The man said, 'Lord, I believe,' and worshipped him.

To me, these are the most exciting verses in this story. It is a scene akin to the one in which Jesus presented himself to the Samaritan woman at the well. He plainly tells the man he is the Messiah. Simply put, just reliving these scenes in my mind & imagining what I might have felt were it me to whom Jesus confessed his being gives me a sense of awe and amazement. Wow! God incarnate talking to me! Incidentally, when the guy heard Jesus say he is the Lord the guy instantly believed - there was no doubt in his mind.

When Jesus comes again, there will be no doubt in our minds what is happening. We will know instantly. We must not be lured by false messiahs.

BenBauer

Post by BenBauer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:31 am

bruud wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 am
After all, what does he have to lose?
This is such an excellent thought and insight.

Philippians 1:21 - "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

On this Earth, as long as I have Christ... what do I have to lose? Nothing! I have everything through him.

EuniceG

Post by EuniceG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:26 pm

There are people who have been blind all their lives who, through miracles of modern medicine, are given sight, but aren't happy! It's not just the light falling on the retina that is sight, but the ability of the brain to interpret these images, and a person blind from birth doesn't have that ability even when the brain begins to receive images. Sometimes these people struggle to gain the ability to use their sight or are, in the end, unable to gain this ability. So when Jesus gave sight to a man born blind, there was a double miracle in that he was able to use the sight he gained. Jesus instantly gave his brain the ability to interpret the visual images it received so that he could use his sight immediately and fully.

I think that's like hearing the Word of God and being given the insight of the Holy Spirit through the Word so that we see and understand God's message to us. There are those who hear the Word and because their hearts are closed, don't understand or respond to it, and the religious leaders in Jesus' day are an example of this. "Dear Lord, open my heart by your Holy Spirit to truly receive and understand what you offer me through your Word."

bruud

Post by bruud » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 pm

BenBauer wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:31 am

Philippians 1:21 - "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

On this Earth, as long as I have Christ... what do I have to lose? Nothing! I have everything through him.
I recall hearing part of a talk years ago from a man who had worked for a time with Mother Teresa. The quote that stuck with me was when he said that "she was the most defenseless person I've ever met," not meaning that she couldn't defend herself, but rather that she was in no way guarded in her interactions with those around her. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.