Ephesians 1:7-14

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

Ephesians 1:7-14

Post by Pastor » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:55 am

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NRSV

There is a verb in vs 8 that captures my attention every time I read through this section of Scripture. Do you see it? Does it do the same to you?
LAVISH. I confess that I am both unfamiliar and uncomfortable with this word. Webster traces the probable origin of lavish to “an abundance or torrent of rain.” Being a 13-year resident of the Pacific Northwest, I am accustomed to an endless trickle of showers. I have been under these conditions for so long that they are my normal, my default. I am comfortable with the drip-drip-drip-.
LAVISH. What would we do with a downpour of rain? How would we regulate and restrict it? Isn’t such an abundance rather…excessive?

LAVISH. Read vss 7-8 and note what God has poured out on us in torrential amounts. God’s extravagant gift corresponds to our extraordinary need. I would like to say I only need a trickle, thereby regulating and restricting grace, but I would be lying. Because of the Beloved, heaven opens and the gifts of God are lavishly poured down upon us who look to Christ in faith. We are saturated in sin’s solution.

LAVISH. Have you ever experienced an outpouring of love so generous that you were caught by surprise and left saturated?
LAVISH. God dumps His gifts on you often. Rejoice!

J.Matson

Re: Ephesians 1:7-14

Post by J.Matson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Although I was baptized when I was a couple years old, I was not raised in a church-going family. Thanks be to God that my godmother, the sainted Jean Hicks, saw to it that I was able to get to church sometime when I was in high school. At the end of my senior year of high school, I was confirmed with a fine group of adults and was so excited that I could now take communion for the first time. I joined the choir right away to sing His praises. And for me, my church life has only grown - all because I opened the gift that God had placed before me on the day of my baptism. That gift was there for years; when I look back, I believe I saw that there was a gift - a mystery package - sitting there for me, and I needed to open it. When I started the adult confirmation process, I was opening that gift. And yes, God was "lavishing" his gifts on me - the gifts of forgiveness redemption, wisdom and understanding.

I can well understand why so many people will look upon Christians as a little strange, and lost in another world. Have you ever noticed the blank stare or rude comments you receive when you try to explain your faith to unbelievers. Be patient. These folks just haven't opened the box yet. Some haven't even realized there is a box with their name on it. I read something by Jon Courson of Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, CA. His comments clarified these verses (Eph 1:7-9) in a big way, "Are you full of joy tonight? Are you at peace? Are you content? Do you have rest? If so, you understand the mystery of His will. Are you bitter, angry, frustrated, or upset? Then you don't. On any given day, the extent to which you understand the mystery of His will, that will be the extent to which peace reigns in your heart,"

OAKPROA

Re: Ephesians 1:7-14

Post by OAKPROA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:14 pm

“heaven opens and the gifts of God are lavishly poured down upon us who look to Christ in faith. We are saturated in sin’s solution"
We are saturated in SIN, indeed, that was OUR part…whereas God’s part is and always will be the gift of SALVATION thru CHRIST which He lavishes upon us.

Just as “Matson” indicated, “opening the box” in his illustration is our first step in being a disciple (follower), the next step is our being an apostle (messenger for the individual being followed -->CHRIST).

Praise God in whom all blessing flow

Harry