Ephesians 1:3-6

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

Ephesians 1:3-6

Post by Pastor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NRSV

Many Christians draw a lot of spiritual strength from the moment they chose to be a follower of Jesus. While I do not want to debate “decision theology” in this post. I do want to direct you to the content of vs 4 where it says, God chose you.
Theologians call this the Doctrine of Election. Tagging this teaching with the title, “election”, may challenge some people if they associate earthly events with heavenly realities. The presidential elections of 2000 and 2016 were messy and chaotic. One would hope God’s action of election would stand in sharp contrast. Indeed, it does.
vs 4 - God chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world

What does this mean?
It means that you are not an afterthought. This verse locates you at a specific point in the Genesis chapter 1 narrative. God did not say, “OK, I’ve got the light and darkness, evening and morning, earth and seas in the mix. Is there anything else that belongs before I stick it in the oven? Oh, look, I almost forgot to add Jon. In Jon goes.” [This quotation was designed for illustrative purposes only.] Where did you fit into the sequence of creation? This indicates your value to God.

God choosing you should also bring unshakable confidence. Before there was time, God decided that you would be His…and that decision will stand the test of time. What can nullify God’s choice? What can break God’s elective claim on you? It is in God’s choosing that a Christian finds the spiritual strength they need. God’s action, and not our own, truly is Good News!

J.Matson

Re: Ephesians 1:3-6

Post by J.Matson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:21 am

God chose me before I was born. I was not an accident. That makes me feel special.