The Lead

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

The Lead

Post by Pastor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 pm

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Consider how much attention and effort is put into being "in the lead." Have you been following the medal count at the Winter Olympics? Our world and ourselves are consumed with "the lead."

After Peter confessed the Christ, Jesus went on to described His divine mission in v31. Note what followed-Peter wasn't pleased with that direction so he tried to "take the lead" in v32.
How often does our idea of how life and discipleship should look differ from that of Jesus? In those cases, do we humbly follow or pretentiously "take the lead"?
Jesus tells us what's at stake when we "take the lead" in v35.

What are some areas where you need to swap places with Jesus and have Him lead?
Will you be better off as a result?

J.Matson

Re: The Lead

Post by J.Matson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 pm

In the wake of Rev. Dr. Billy Graham's passing into eternity, I am reminded that this man of God was a disciple of disciples. In any message that he preached I never heard him mince words. He called a spade a spade. He would be a model evangelist to so many people. If we are serious about being Jesus' hands and feet in reaching others, we need to lose our fear of being politically correct all the time. We need to not fear using talk of God in our daily conversations with others. I constantly have to ask myself why I am not more forthright with non-believers? Am I ashamed of Jesus and His Word? Maybe I feel it is not the right time or place to talk to a non-believer about Jesus' promises. But where in Scripture are we told to withhold Jesus' promises until a better time or place?

Questions I would ask are such as:

1. What keeps Christians from working together to return open acceptance of Jesus Christ in the public square?
2. Would our country and the world be better off, and not seemingly caught in a downward spiral, if people turned to God for answers rather than to their own selves and social or political power plays?
3. What does separation of church and state really mean? Are we overextending the intent of the 1st Amendment clause that says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."?

I may have strayed far from the topic Pastor was zeroing in on, but these were the thoughts that came to my mind as I read Pastor's comments.

Jeff

OAKPROA

Post by OAKPROA » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Kudos brother IN CHRIST, Jeff.
Both Graham and Martin Luther King typified the "leader" concept of which Pastor drew attention too, but even they differed in approaching the subject matter, with God's leading thru the Holy Spirit. God grants Knowledge and Understanding as we grow in Wisdom and Strength with God's GRACE
Harry

BenBauer

Post by BenBauer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 am

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that there is nothing wrong is leading - in fact - I would argue that it is encouraged if it is what God needs!

Here me out.

From the spiritual side of things we are encouraged to run the race as best we can. Paul in 1 Corinthians 9 says we should "run in such a way as to get the prize". Again in Hebrews 12 we are told to run with endurance. If I'm racing towards the goal to win the prize, am I not striving to be in the lead?

From an earthly standpoint, we are told to honor our father and mother, to respect those in authority... those who lead us. We are told that leaders have a place in the service of Christ, that if we lead should do so diligently (Romans 12:8).

I don't think the problem is with leading, wanting to lead, or being a leader. The core of Jesus' beef with Peter (and ultimately with us if we behave like Peter), is not that Peter wanted to lead, but WHERE Peter was leading.

Peter was trying to lead Jesus and the other disciples away from the true purpose of why Jesus was on Earth. Jesus clearly states that the problem isn't Peter taking the lead, it's that he did "not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns."

So I say lead away! But while doing so, fix your eyes on Jesus and keep the concerns of God in mind.

Pastor

Post by Pastor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Great discussion.
What is advocated is "leading from behind," which is still, and critically--following.
Without leaders who are still followers the Gospel gets nowheres.

What are some areas where you need to be doing both??

BenBauer

Post by BenBauer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:11 am

Pastor wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 pm
What is advocated is "leading from behind," which is still, and critically--following.
Without leaders who are still followers the Gospel gets nowhere.
I love how you summarize this. You are absolutely correct, leading from behind is critical living Christ-like lives.

Even Christ followed his father - an excellent example is in Luke 22 when he was in the garden of Gethsemane praying "yet not my will, but yours be done".

As for where I struggle, it's definitely at work because I get trapped in thinking that "work" is such a secular activity that I must handle all challenges which arise there and should be my own leader. Shame on me for thinking the lead of God only applies where I think is important.