Passion

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

Passion

Post by Pastor » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 pm

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

I hear motivational speakers tell people who are entering the job market to, "find something you are passionate about."
I wonder how that is heard by these prospective employees? When they hear "passion for the task," what do you think they assume?
Every Christian has been given a task by Jesus. Check out Mt 28:19-20 and Acts 1:8. Paul speaks of a "passion" he brings to the task all Christians share in the text linked above. How does he describe this passion? How is it expressed in a life of a Christian?
How does the passion that Paul speaks of differ from the passion that many are encouraged to bring to their jobs these days?
Is there room for you to rekindle the fire of your passion for the task Christ has given you?

OAKPROA

Re: Passion

Post by OAKPROA » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 pm

“How does the passion that Paul speaks of differ from the passion that many are encouraged to bring to their jobs these days? “

The difference is temporal compared to permanent. In the workplace the reference is about the joy of completing continued assigned tasks. As a child I had great passion for riding my bike, exploring the woods, building tree forts, then eventually building and launching rockets. That lasted until cars and girls came along (btw... the later never ended…happiness always with wife forever ☺). During this process I was always blessed by the Holy Spirit and was as St.Paul said (baby food replaced with adult food-I Corinthians 3:2 & Hebrews 5:2) This new passion never ceased and only continues to increase.

I remember having my young sons continue to ask for the same stories to be read every night, contrasted with the Gospel story, a complete difference with the passion to hear it every single day for the rest of my life…the difference is PASSSION. Passion to hear and share with others, this gift freely given by the Holy Spirt, being made as a “new creation” which carries JOY to a new level every day unending. Thank You, Jesus.

My passion is to continue experiencing the immeasurable greatness of God’s GRACE made possible by the Holy Spirit for the remainder of my life on earth and completion in heaven with my Savior Jesus Christ.
Harry

J.Matson

Re: Passion

Post by J.Matson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:41 pm

In the opening verses of almost every one of the epistles, Paul introduces himself as a servant, or an apostle, of Christ Jesus. In letters to the Galatians and Colossians, he says he was sent by Jesus Christ, not men. As far as I can tell, Paul devoted his full time to his jobs as a servant and apostle. This is passion. If someone asks me what my passion is, can I say in all honesty that it is to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Yes, I enjoy church, choir, puppetry, serving at Salvation Army, even knocking on doors. But I also enjoy good movies, cross country skiing, and photography. But "liking" something and having a "passion" for something are two entirely different things. For a Christian, I think compassion is being committed to a cause and making sure it is on the calendar for the next year out. A passionate Christian will not miss serving for a certain event (such as serving at Salvation Army) for anything in the world (other than, perhaps, being ill and having enough love for the clientele of Salvation Army no to get them sick as well).

During this time of Lent, I asked myself, "What is the passion in the Passion Story?" In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus prayed to his Father, "My Father, if it is possible, may the cup be taken from me. Yet . . . if it is not possible for the cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." Now, THAT is passion - Jesus' love for me, sinner that I am, would drive him to the cross and shed His blood for me.

Is there room to rekindle the fire of compassion for the task Christ has given me? Most certainly. Even as we get a little "long in the tooth", Paul says in Gal 6:9, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Jeff