Amos 5:16-27

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

Amos 5:16-27

Post by Pastor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 pm

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV
How do you picture the OT prophets? In my mind they often look like Grizzly Adams with a harsh doom and gloom message.
There appears to be no shortage of apocalyptic prophets these days. They shout on the corners of Wall Street, at the nation's capital, in the forests of the Pacific Northwest. Each have their own brand of doom and gloom which include the economic, political, and environmental arenas. Apocalyptic prophecy abounds. Frankly, I get tired of it, to the point that I simply tune it out so it doesn't drive me crazy.

I wonder if the folks back in the OT tuned out Amos? I suspect they did because the disaster he predicted came true.
What should Israel have heard from Amos? How should they have responded?

More importantly, I wonder if we tune out the Bible's prophetic message?
What does the Holy Spirit want us to hear from Amos? How should we respond?
The prophets still speak...and need to be heard.

J.Matson

Re: Amos 5:16-27

Post by J.Matson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Doom and gloom everywhere! I, too, need to look away from the TV and newspaper (yes, I still get a newspaper), and seek fresh air. There is so much good in the world, and God is still very active in helping us preserve that good. From my condo here in San Diego, I can look out and see the sunrise everyday. I see the blue sky and pink clouds; Mount Helix with its cross on the top; lots of green trees. I am reminded of Gods power and glory. I am reminded daily that, on the surface, people are still basically good. But under the surface, sin abides.

Amos sees the hypocritical religious motions in the temple. He sees that famine, plagues, death and destruction have done little to bring people to their knees. Does this sound like our own evening news? Amos reminds us of what needs to be done in verse 24: "Let justice run down like water, and righteousness like a might stream." And Micah tells us later that the Lord requires of us to "Do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God." (Micah 6:8) Sounds like a simple formula to me.