Revelation 7:9-17

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

Revelation 7:9-17

Post by Pastor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 pm

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV
What do you think heaven is like?
I wonder.....
Have you noticed the number of books that have been published, say within the past twenty years, wherein the author claims to have spent time in heaven? Frankly, I don't know what to make of them. That's probably alright. I feel as a pastor that when I comment on a spiritual topic, my words carry some weight. I need to be careful of where I direct that weight.
I don't hesitate to direct people to Scripture. God's Word is sure and trustworthy. That means what it says about heaven is spot on. The problem is the Bible doesn't really spell out what heaven is like, at least not in terms that I can readily grasp.
Why do you think that is? I suspect that heaven is beyond words that we can attach to an experience.
Notice that these verses describe heaven in terms of what it 'is not'. These verses use experiences that are common to the human condition and tell us they are absent in heaven.
Does that make you long even more for what God has prepared for you?

J.Matson

Re: Revelation 7:9-17

Post by J.Matson » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Does anyone really know? I can only say what I would hope Heaven is like. I have always had concerns about being able to find the people I have loved in this life - my parents and grandparents, my wife and my own family, old school friends and neighbors, my cats and dogs. I wonder if I will be able to just walk up to a person who was a politician in this life and ask, "Hey, what were you thinking way back when?" (But in a world without the constraints of time, what would "way back when" even mean?!)

I envision Heaven as the place where all is at peace. If I love music, there will be ample music. If I want to garden, I will have a beautiful garden to enjoy - and there won't be aphids on the roses! Streets paved with gold? Hmm, I am not sure about that, but the streets will be perfect - no pot holes, and no trash blowing around.

I don't think we will have trash or illness because death will be no more. The streets and dwellings will be perfect for whomever we are because there will be no decay. I love parades, and there will be parades - lots of them - and people will be dressed to perfection; lots of musicians; lots of color; and lots of fun.

Most of all, I look forward to sitting at the feet of Jesus and asking Him lots of questions.

As I get older and see life passing, I honestly can say that I look forward to eternity in Heaven. I daily thank God that He sent Jesus to save me and take me to be with Him. It seems the world is getting worse everyday. For this, I can only do my best to try to make the world a better place, but I still mourn at what is happening to God's creation, and I look forward eagerly to the world to come.

JGraham

Post by JGraham » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:10 pm

I tend to envision Heaven in terms of things I like. So I latch on to concepts of Heaven as a "banquet" or "wedding feast" and the idea of people "from all tribes and peoples and languages"--like an eternal Folklife festival without the tie-dye. I also like C.S. Lewis' attempt to depict Heaven in The Last Battle, where there's the promise of more & more “further up and further in”.

However, my daydreams have been brought up short when Jesus mentions that "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage". Being rather fond of being married, I had to struggle with that one a bit. I think that when "the heavens and earth that now exist" burn up with fire, as Peter writes, I am going to lose some of the things I enjoyed. But since "faith, hope, and love abide", I trust that, in the wonders of God's presence, I won't even think about the minor pleasures of Earth.

As for longing for Heaven, I don't know if I can honestly use that phrase. I'm definitely ready to go--I don't have a bucket list of things I need to do here on Earth. But I have to confess that I also don't earnestly pray, Maranatha/Come Lord Jesus. I actually tend to pray, "Come, Lord Jesus. But first can you grant salvation to the following people..."

OAKPROA

Post by OAKPROA » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:02 am

Church triumphant (church in heaven) as Luther said in the past, are now identified (vs 4 he “heard the number” and in vs 9 he “saw”) and was able to perceive by both, vast numbers of multi-racial multi-lingual peoples. What an added comfort for us today to realize that globally, God has always received His “children” adopted through Christ as His own, by believing in the promised “in Christ”, in many different situations and conditions…hallelujah.
I also noted in vs 7-10 the “crying out” of the multitudes which connects with 6:10 where impatient martyrs resting under the throne of God also cry out…victory for all, past-present-future, since God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
BTW: Universal worship of God vs 11-12 angels sing…wow, I’ll be able to sing also (can’t carry a tune now)

Harry

BenBauer

Post by BenBauer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 pm

I used to have a list of things that I wanted in heaven and the things that I have wanted have changed and evolved as I've grown older. When I was younger I wanted certain toys, I wanted to make sure my family was there, I wanted a TV, maybe some music, etc.

Lately, though, I've come to the realization that I don't care. The only thing I know is that the war will be over. The constant battle between my old Adam and my new Adam will be over. When I get to heaven I will just be able to "be".

Be at peace.
Be in the presence of God.

Those are the only two things I am confident heaven will be and, really, the only two I care about.

Pauline

Post by Pauline » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:55 am

Yes, as I get older the need or want of material things decreases. When our early life ends, all our heavenly body needs is one thing God.