1 Peter 2:9-12

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

1 Peter 2:9-12

Post by Pastor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:58 pm

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV
The doctrine that I'll emphasize in relationship to this text is Vocation. There's a lot that can be said on the subject, but let's keep this very simple. What is your God-defined purpose?
Let's expand that a bit further....How is your God-defined purpose lived out in your current context?

BenBauer

Re: 1 Peter 2:9-12

Post by BenBauer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:25 am

I don't know.

I know all the words to say to make it sound like I know - to make it sound like I understand the details about God's purpose for me. But satan has this really amazing way of casting doubt into my life. Instead of him saying "Did God really say you must not eat from any tree..." he's saying to me, "Are you really doing enough to please God... you're going to work or playing video games instead of heading out into the world and witnessing?"

I always feel like I should be doing more for God and that if I'm doing something that isn't obviously "for him" I feel I'm being selfish.

I know that God's grace and mercy covers me and my shortcomings in doing his purpose... but this is a topic where my old Adam and my new Adam are constantly duking it out.

OAKPROA

Post by OAKPROA » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:56 pm

You are a people on the earth whom God enjoys. You are his possession… when the eyes of our heart recognize this; it delivers us from all our insecurities and fears. The world says you’re too short, too tall, not smart enough, not a great enough leader, not a great enough speaker, you don’t have enough money. No, you are perfect. You are perfect because you were created by God (cf. Psalm 139:13-14) and he can use even your weaknesses for his glory.
I believe the fact that if we question, "Are we really doing enough to please God “
Then we have already answered the question with a YES, because if we were not concerned, then we weren’t really God’s children.
God takes pleasure in us even in our weakness because we belong to him as his children (John 1:[12] But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God;
[13] who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Do we doubt His pleasure in us by feeling insecure and not fulfilling the task He appointed for us, which is worshipping Him?

J.Matson

Post by J.Matson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:13 pm

My vocation changes throughout life. As a teen, my vocation was to do the best I could in school and be good to my neighbors. As a young man with a new family, my vocation was to provide for my family and use my new-found talents and interests in the service of the Lord. As a retiree with "time on my hands" (side note: That's a pipe dream!), my vocation is to continue using my talents for the service of the Lord - helping neighbors, using my administrative skills to the utmost, caring for my family. I believe a vocation changes just like the seasons of the year. As time passes, so our vocation may change. When I retired, I had spent the past 40 years doing accounting-related work. I retired early and was looking forward to taking on a new career - maybe being a school bus driver or working for a charity. For several reasons, those ideas never bore fruit. So, I took a job preparing taxes for a national tax preparation company! Not what I had hoped for. Everything I do goes in the same direction - more administration and leadership roles; on boards of directors, I spend much of my time digging into the finances. I have served on boards of directors in one form or another for 20 or more years. I also love children and spend as much time with them as I can. Along the way, I have also developed a keen sense of dealing with little children and also vocal talents. So these are my vocation. God has naturally directed me in this direction. I can't change it and be comfortable doing so.

My attention is drawn to 1 Peter 2:11 "I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul." Generally, we interpret this as sins of the flesh eating away at our soul - lust, debauchery, etc. I also believe that trying to pound our square pegs (such as doing all we can to be a smooth dancer or portrait photographer) into the round holes that God gave us (such as talent for being a carpenter or engineer or, yes, even an administrator), can lead to a war against our souls. So let's not worry if we aren't what the world thinks we should be. Let's follow God's path and use our God-given talents for His purpose.