2 Kings 5:1-3, 9-14

Each week a new scriptural study will be posted for you to meditate on and discuss with fellow believers.
Pastor

2 Kings 5:1-3, 9-14

Post by Pastor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 pm

It's been a while. Glad to be back...
Consider how you most often view the miraculous; does it have to be something spectacular and sensational before you'll notice it and give God the credit?
The Bible is filled with God working miracles. The greatest of them all are associated with Jesus, specifically His birth, death, and resurrection. The first two of these three could certainly be considered "spectacles" in the sense of their unusual character and circumstances. All three escaped being "media sensations." What does this say about how God often does His greatest work?
During the month of October, we'll focus on themes associated with the Reformation. The text from 2 Kings is often connected with Holy Baptism.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV

The lack of the spectacular and sensational in Elisha's instructions proved scandalous to Naaman. Still, in faith, Naaman obeyed and was miraculously healed. Holy Baptism is similar. It is a "washing of regeneration and renewal (Titus 3:5)", a flood of "forgiveness (Acts 2:38)," a genuine miracle.
How often do you remember and draw from the benefits of your baptism?
Do you think that if you viewed it more as a true miracle that you would return to it more often and enjoy it's blessings?

bruud

Re: 2 Kings 5:1-3, 9-14

Post by bruud » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:30 pm

As an accomplished, veteran soldier, Naaman had undoubtedly faced death at the end of an enemy's sword countless times. He was probably able to set aside the fear of death in battle. But now he's facing death again, from a disease that he can't conquer. He may be fearing death for the first time in years. And what do we often do when we're afraid? We make ourselves appear powerful, to hide the fear or to attempt to suppress it. So Naaman goes to Samaria as though ready for battle, with his horses and his chariots. This way, if the cure fails, he can maintain his show of strength and bluster and continue hiding from death.

Then comes one of the great stories of learned humility that the Bible tells so well. "Doesn't this prophet know who I am? Shouldn't his god show himself before me?", Naaman demands. What's remarkable is that Elisha never enters into a conversation with Naaman. He doesn't try to teach Naaman humility; he lets God do that. Naaman is given a task for which their can be no boasting ("Guess what? I had to wash! In the Jordan!").

I think of the times when I've gone through trials, and like Naaman I've cried out, "Don't you know who I am, God? Why don't you show yourself!? Answer my prayers now!", which can then lead to "I'll do anything! Give me some great task to do, and I'll do it, I'll prove my devotion. Just answer my prayer!" And I can imagine similar stories: "I prayed fervently for 72 hours straight/I took a trip to Jerusalem/I donated $10,000 to a worthy cause -- and my prayers were answered!", which of course turns God into the Great Vending Machine in the Sky (which is what Luther was railing against in the Catholic church).

But God responds with "Be still, and know that I am God."

OAKPROA

Post by OAKPROA » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:49 pm

The waters of the Jordan cleansed Naaman of leprosy by the grace of God in the old testament as a foretaste of Christ’s water of Baptism to cleanse the soul of sin revealed in the new testament.
Seven times washed in the Jordan (OT) compared to three waters of the Holy Spirit baptism now.
Neither of the “waters” had intrinsic power of their own, but solely by God’s undeserved and unmerited GRACE to mankind thru His LOVE of His own true children. John 1:12 “but to those who received Him, who believed in His name, he gave the power to become His children” (full of Grace and Truth).
To God we give ALL Praise and Glory…Amen

OAKPROA

Post by OAKPROA » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 pm

The waters of the Jordan cleansed Naaman of leprosy by the grace of God in the old testament as a foretaste of Christ’s water of Baptism to cleanse the soul of sin revealed in the new testament.
Seven times washed in the Jordan (OT) compared to three waters of the Holy Spirit baptism now.
Neither of the “waters” had intrinsic power of their own, but solely by God’s undeserved and unmerited GRACE to mankind thru His LOVE of His own true children. John 1:12 “but to those who received Him, who believed in His name, he gave the power to become His children” (full of Grace and Truth).
To God we give ALL Praise and Glory…Amen